nissan forums   nissan forums

Go Back   Nissan Forum > General Discussion Area > The Nissan Forum Lounge

Nissan Forum: Hello & What I Know and Might be Able to Help with...

Old 11-19-2017, 12:57 PM

Talking Hello & What I Know and Might be Able to Help with...

Hello from me and thanks to whomever it is who provides this Forum....

Elderly Mum in Law is the recent new owner of a 2011 Micra K13, 1.2 Petrol, which I'll be maintaining (basics at least, more perhaps), so its nice to be able to ask, maybe offer, advice here.

I've deliberately avoided anything that's got an ECU for myself, and to that end my own car is a 1995 'pre-electronic-everything' Peugeot that I bought at 'Banger money' [very much my budget'] and have now had for some years.

I don't want a 'modern'. When the day comes when I can't fix the old girl any more, hopefully I'll be fund an 'over the odds' purchase of an exceptional early 1990's era replacement.

I won't able to offer help on anything 'Micra specific' but if I can share what I've learnt about welding, general maintenance or beautiful places to visit for free in the UK, NL, B or D (North West parts only of the latter), I'll be more than happy to help.... basically these places are 'anywhere we can drive to cheaply', often sleeping in the car (its a decent sized estate).

Others have helped me over the years and I'm now getting older (I'm approx 50) and it'd be nice to share what I've learnt and 'pass that info down'.

I have no garage, or driveway, and do all my work the old fashioned way, kerbside. My biggest jobs have been FWD clutch, Dashboard out Heater Matrix, Trailing Cill Rebuild including structure and leading edge of wheelarch (properly, not 'Dunlop Patch' - I'm not looking forward to doing the other one soon). I've done an engine swap...albeit that wasn't kerbside. None of these jobs were on Micra's.

I'm unable to work due to my circumstances and have learnt how to be make the most of what I DO have, which is time.

I like to think I'm an excellent driver, still doing 11,000 miles a year, driving at proper road speeds in my 60bhp quarter million miler and family's newer cars; I loathe dawdlers & ditherers.

Talking of help....

....I'm soon going to be doing an oil change and I note that the filter's in a nice 'easy to get at' location and sits vertically, so unlike with my car, I could potentially put a drop (or three) of oil into the filter before screwing it on....

I hate the way that a car will always run a few seconds with no oil pressure for a few seconds following a change. Would this avoid that scenario and is it safe to do that... or am I best just doing so as normal.

On my car, a diesel, I'd normally disconnect the Stop Solenoid and crank it til the oil light goes out, after a change; then reconnect and start it; but I don't wanna mess with anything electrical on a 'fancy electronics' modern car.

NB: ironically perhaps, I also run a Website, using Wix; if anyone’s struggling, feel free to ask, maybe I can help with that too; the website’s not car related at all.