nissan forums   nissan forums

Go Back   Nissan Forum > Nissan Forums (Nissan Trucks and SUVs) > Nissan Hardbody Forum

Nissan Forum: 1988 D21 Excessive fuel pressure when trying to start

Old 07-06-2019, 09:10 PM

Default 1988 D21 Excessive fuel pressure when trying to start

I'm helping my neighbor out on his son's truck. It won't start. When I check the tbi as he turns the key on it pumps several ounces of fuel out the 2 injectors. I removed the injectors and we turned the key on and it pumps the same amount of fuel. At least a couple ounces.
I have checked the autopart stores for a fuel pressure regulator and they don't list one. Is the FP regulator part of the pump? Does it sound like the fuel injectors are bad and not restricting the fuel like they should. Any helpis appreciated.

Old 07-07-2019, 09:45 AM

I don't know about your year truck, but my 1994 has a fuel pressure regulator. Try Amazon.com
Old 07-07-2019, 10:34 PM

Amazon doesn't either. They do list one for 94s. I also attempted to read the ecm codes, but were none. The battery had been disconnected for a while.
Old 07-07-2019, 11:01 PM

This forum is really dead. I think I'm the only person who reads the Hardbody section, and I work 65 to 85 hours a week.

Your best bet for help is this online forum:

http://infamousnissan.com/forum/

I think it's about the most active forum for Nissan Hardbody trucks. Don't let the pictures of the low riders scare you off. Most members are normal truck owners.

The older trucks have a throttle body, and the fuel pressure regulator may be built into those units.

Nissan stops importing parts after 20 years, so every year parts get harder to find for our trucks.

If you can't find parts for the throttle body, a common work around is a Weber carb. I'm not sure what size, but I think it's the 42 Series.

My truck has multiport fuel injection, so I can't go that route. I wouldn't know how to trick all of the fuel injection sensors into working with a Weber carb.
Trouble Codes for Nissan 1988-1995: http://nissanforum.org/nissan-forum/showthread.php?t=23202
Old 07-07-2019, 11:03 PM

The most active thread there is this one:

http://infamousnissan.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18422

It should be more for what you have done lately, but a lot of people use it to ask questions without starting a whole thread.
Trouble Codes for Nissan 1988-1995: http://nissanforum.org/nissan-forum/showthread.php?t=23202
Old 07-08-2019, 02:59 AM

Thanks for the info. I'll check it out.