nissan forums   nissan forums

Go Back   Nissan Forum > Nissan Forums (Nissan Trucks and SUVs) > Nissan Hardbody Forum

Nissan Forum: '96 Hardbody rear end fluid help

Old 12-20-2012, 07:05 AM

Default '96 Hardbody rear end fluid help

Hello,
I have a 4 cylinder '96 Nissan Hardbody Kingcab 2 wheel drive with a 5 speed manual transmission. I have looked through the manual but it doesn't show what fluid to put in the differential and how much to use, or I am missing it. I am the original owner of this truck and I just hit 60K. I am doing some parts of the major service myself to save some money. Any help would be appreciated including anything I should know before doing it myself.

Also, it appears that there is only 1 plug on the differential that is about 1/3 of the way up. Is that right? Does the differential only get filled about 1/3 of it's overall height? Just want to be sure I am not missing something like a plug somewhere else like on top or something. Obviously, I am no mechanic, just a guy with an old truck and not much money.

Thanks!

I added a picture in case that is helpful
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-12-19_23-07-40_754small.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	155  

Last edited by ericcellis; 12-20-2012 at 07:16 AM. Reason: added picture

Old 12-20-2012, 02:14 PM

First, I wanted to say I have no clue how to attach pictures like that. Perhaps Chrome doesn't support that feature.

Anyway, there should be a plug on the very bottom to drain the fluid, then fill with new gear oil so that you can reach in there and just touch it with your fingers.

Realistically, this means pour gear oil in until it starts spilling out all over the floor and won't hold any more.

I'm going to come back in here using IE to see if I can attach a pic. Be Right Back!

EDIT: Yeap! Easy Peasy in IE!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot.jpg
Views:	576
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	156  
Trouble Codes for Nissan 1988-1995: http://nissanforum.org/nissan-forum/showthread.php?t=23202
Old 12-20-2012, 02:15 PM

there should be one on the bottom, take the fill plug out first.. just to make sure you can fill it back up once its drained! and it should be just be 80/90w
Old 12-20-2012, 04:03 PM

I used 75w-90 and once you drain it just fill it up just below the fill plug(roughly 2.5 qts). lol I do this all the time at work.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:21 AM

Default Thanks

Hi guys,
Thanks for the replies. It is greatly appreciated!

I have some redline 75W90 oil but it is GL4, the bottle says it isn't recommended for rear ends. The stuff is kind of expensive but I really noticed the difference. When Nissan did the 30K service they put in a GL5 oil in the manual transmission. It was very hard to shift and just didn't feel right. Before I brought it in for the service everything was great. So I drained the junk they put in and filled it with this redline MT-90. Right away my transmission was even better than it had ever been. It went into gear easier and just seemed smoother somehow.

So for the differential I should be looking for GL5, right? I ordered some redline GL5 75w90. Hopefully that is right! I am going to Vegas for CES in early January so I needed to order it and get it done.

Thank you guys for telling me that there is a plug on the under side. I probably would have seen it when I actually crawled under there to do the work, but it is good to know ahead of time. Also, I will definately open the fill plug first. That would really suck to drain it and not be able to fill it again.

Does anyone happen to know how tight to tighten the plugs? I do have a torque wrench. I am always afraid I am going to over tighten something and strip it out. I also read that it is a good idea to drive it a little before draining it to warm the oil and make it easier to drain. Is that really a good idea or just BS? It makes some sense but how much thinner does the oil get when warmed a little? I could just leave the truck sitting for an hour with the drain plug open to ensure it fully empties out.

Again. Thanks for the help!

Last edited by ericcellis; 12-21-2012 at 04:41 AM. Reason: to reword something
Old 12-21-2012, 05:46 AM

just give it a good tightening with the old ratchetachet just don't he-man it down.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:37 AM

Default heman

By the power of grayskull!

Seriously though, toyota of oxnard (california) trashed the oil pan threads on my wife's corolla. It didnt leak, and we both work from home so it was a little over a year before the next oil change. Could prove they did it so I had to pay to get the pan replaced. Since then i do as much of the car stuff as i can.. That and i'll never buy anything from the oxnard store again.

So does the stuff i bought sound like the right stuff?
Old 12-21-2012, 02:23 PM

before you drain it, make sure you take out the fill plug, 2 reasons, your screwed if its drained and the fill plug will not come out, 2nd, it will drain faster will the fill plug out (warm oil also moves faster)
Old 12-21-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcellis View Post
By the power of grayskull!
Yeah, you're old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcellis View Post
So does the stuff i bought sound like the right stuff?
Redline MT-90? I guess so, if it's working good.

GL-4 verses GL-5: I don't know what the difference is. Maybe one is made from female dinosaurs and the other is made from the males.
Trouble Codes for Nissan 1988-1995: http://nissanforum.org/nissan-forum/showthread.php?t=23202
Old 12-22-2012, 01:40 AM

GL-4 is what you need, nearly all older vehicles need GL-4. GL-5 has suflur in it, in old stick shifts the sulfur will wear out your synchronizers and blow your transmission. GL-4 is hard to find now, but Redline still makes GL-4 and so does Amsoil

Redline MT-90 75-90 GL-4 is what i put into my Supra's trans/diff and the D21's trans and diff. dont know why your bottle says not recommended for rear ends, all of my bottles say suitable for transmissions and rear ends

to tighten the plugs, just snug them. anything more will make them a bitch to get out the next time or you risk stripping the head. i changed the rear end fluid in the D21 a few weeks ago, pretty sure nobody changed the rear end fluid in the last decade if not ever. drain plug was seized, so i just got the fill plug off, suctioned out the fluid, and filled it up. that way you dont have to screw around with the drain plug

MT-90 should be fine for your rear end, its only not recommended for diffs with hypoid gears

1979 Supra 4ME 5spd- weekend daily
1991 Toyota Crown Royal Saloon- daily

Tags
96 hardbody, differential, gear oil