nissan forums   nissan forums

Go Back   Nissan Forum > Nissan Forums (Nissan Cars) > Nissan Sentra Forum

Notices

Nissan Forum: P0340 Code & My Solution

Old 02-02-2013, 11:32 PM

Default P0340 Code & My Solution

I had an issue on my 06' with rough starts for about 4 months without any code. Wasn't a big deal, as the car would usually start after a second crank.

Then, the P0340 code popping up. Naturally, I picked up a new camshaft sensor from the dealer, cleared the code, and all was good for a week until it came up again with a vengeance.

P0340 code came back, and the car would not start.

Searching around here, I saw that many blamed the crankshaft sensor as well. So I picked up one of those, and after a lot of swearing at trying to get the old one out in the cold - I managed to swap it. Oddly, the car started up and I thought all was good.

Very next day, no-start, code is back.

After checking out all the electrical, I started playing with the sensor position a bit and got the car to start! After some more experimenting, it turns out the sensor is too close to the engine when its cold. Likely due to some engine wear, the camshaft possibly moving a bit, metal expansion, or the nature of hall effect sensors... pick any.

Long story short, I cut out some gaskets on my laser cutter, slipped two of them in between the camshaft sensor and the engine.

Car starts first crank every time! Hot or cold. CEL cleared, and has not come back (been 2 weeks now).

May not be the most elegant solution, but it works.

Here's the gaskets I cut out:

Hope this helps someone out there.

Old 03-07-2014, 03:33 AM

Hi 13bt, I have the exact same problem with my 2008 Versa. If I unplug the cam sensor, unplug the battery, cross the terminals, hook it back up it will start and run. The interesting thing Is that if I clear the code while it's running it will stall and won't restart until I repeat the process!!!! I think it goes into a kind of limp mode or something.

Anyways I'm going to try your fix tomorrow and I'll let you know how it goes!!!

Thanks for posting.
Dan.
Old 03-08-2014, 02:50 AM

13bt, how many miles do you have on your car?

I have a 2004 MY car with over 100K on the clock when it started to happen and I have had this problem, for quite some time and is now over 140K. It would happen when it was usually super cold. I have replaced more cam and crank sensors than I care to remember, both OEM and aftermarket. I can almost tell by the length of cold soak and temperature if I would have a problem starting. About a year ago, I came across a post on the iATN forum, a site that catered to pros. The tech that posted found that his customer's timing chain had stretched enough to cause this issue.

If you remove your valve cover, while facing the chain, look down the left side of the chain, you will see the tensioner. Is should not be sticking out too much but when I checked mine it was out over half an inch. When I replaced the timing chain the tensioner barely extended out of the body. Since replacing the timing chain I have not had any issues no matter how cold it got and we have had a pretty cold winter here in NJ.
Old 09-17-2017, 12:42 PM

Hey, so I have been having the same exact issues with my 2007 Versa. Had gone through the same process of having a friend check the wiring and changing the cam sensor and still start up issues occurred. Went to the hardware store and bought a pack of washers. Came back to the car started it up and it fell flat and cut off. Put the washer in and the car started right up. Let the car sit for a couple hours, started up fine. Let it sit over night and started it this morning, no issues. Thanks so much man! I was so close to buying a new car. You are a life saver.

Last edited by danielofthekings; 09-17-2017 at 12:46 PM.
Old 09-17-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13bt View Post
I had an issue on my 06' with rough starts for about 4 months without any code. Wasn't a big deal, as the car would usually start after a second crank.

Then, the P0340 code popping up. Naturally, I picked up a new camshaft sensor from the dealer, cleared the code, and all was good for a week until it came up again with a vengeance.

P0340 code came back, and the car would not start.

Searching around here, I saw that many blamed the crankshaft sensor as well. So I picked up one of those, and after a lot of swearing at trying to get the old one out in the cold - I managed to swap it. Oddly, the car started up and I thought all was good.

Very next day, no-start, code is back.

After checking out all the electrical, I started playing with the sensor position a bit and got the car to start! After some more experimenting, it turns out the sensor is too close to the engine when its cold. Likely due to some engine wear, the camshaft possibly moving a bit, metal expansion, or the nature of hall effect sensors... pick any.

Long story short, I cut out some gaskets on my laser cutter, slipped two of them in between the camshaft sensor and the engine.

Car starts first crank every time! Hot or cold. CEL cleared, and has not come back (been 2 weeks now).

May not be the most elegant solution, but it works.

Here's the gaskets I cut out:

Hope this helps someone out there.

Thanks for this post. I had a friends car who had this problem to a severe degree. After traditional and extensive diagnosis I was able to narrow down some potential causes but not a solution. Being devoid of an oscilloscope I turned to the internet for information. My previous research on the internet showed lots of forum posts where people were having cam sensor faults and a lot of problems as a result. No one had a solution though. Just lots of posts from people shotgunning. Thanks for posting a detailed description and solution.
Old 09-17-2017, 06:25 PM

Thanks for this post. I had a friends car who had this problem to a severe degree. After traditional and extensive diagnosis I was able to narrow down some potential causes but not a solution. Being devoid of an oscilloscope I turned to the internet for information. My previous research on the internet showed lots of forum posts where people were having cam sensor faults and a lot of problems as a result. No one had a solution though. Just lots of posts from people shotgunning. Thanks for posting a detailed description and solution.