nissan forums   nissan forums

Go Back   Nissan Forum > Nissan Forums (Nissan Trucks and SUVs) > Nissan Rogue Forum

Nissan Forum: 2009 Fuel Filter? Power problems?

Old 08-27-2019, 10:36 PM

Default 2009 Fuel Filter? Power problems?

My daughter, in Colorado, has a 2009 Rogue. I moved to Florida, making it rather hard to help her.

From her description, the vehicle had been behaving much like a vehicle with a clogged fuel filter.

Two nights ago the folks at O'Reilly's plugged into the port and said she needed a new MAF sensor. At first this seemed to completely fix the problems, but now she is advising some are still occurring once again.

I thought we should replace the fuel filter, but from recent web searches i learned that i am a dinosaur in that the only one is the screen at the bottom of the pump.

A little history - She bought the car used (obviously) about four months ago. She was running into similar problems about a month ago and thought that switching to high octane gas (91) pretty much resolved it. Just after a recent fill-up of 87 octane from a remotely located gas station she found the problem act up again. Certainly, contaminated gas is a possibility.

She described the symptoms as:
  • The engine seems to momentarily stall or hiccup while driving
  • Any time the RPMs got to "2.5" - i presume 2500 - it would start coughing
  • To shut down the engine while running errands was asking for a prolonged no-start situation.
  • Has to slowly accelerate, even causing her to block cars when lights turn green
  • Takes a long time to try to get up to speed on the highway, and even then there were times when she couldn't get up to 60mph.

Though the new MAF has fixed many of these, she reports that she still has a great deal of trouble accelerating. She can bring it up to even highway speeds now, but she must accelerate rather slow. If she tries to accelerate quickly it will not accelerate for a few seconds or longer, then it kicks up and does so.

Last night again the MIL came on and a read of it now shows an O2 sensor bad. Strange, one thing after another. I have seen this before in another vehicle where the actual fault was something entirely different that caused a number of other codes to be thrown. If this makes sense, then we replace the O2 sensor, but i don’t want to just keep throwing money at one thing and then another.

Sure would appreciate the help of you folks that know the car. Drives me crazy to have my girl in trouble and be so far away. If i had $ to throw at the problem, it would be a bit easier, but i really don't...

Last edited by brucemc777; 08-28-2019 at 02:00 PM.

Old 08-28-2019, 02:03 PM

My daughter, in Colorado, has a 2009 Rogue. I moved to Florida, making it rather hard to help her.

From her description, the vehicle had been behaving much like a vehicle with a clogged fuel filter.

Two nights ago the folks at O'Reilly's plugged into the port and said she needed a new MAF sensor. At first this seemed to completely fix the problems, but now she is advising some are still occurring once again.

I thought we should replace the fuel filter, but from recent web searches i learned that i am a dinosaur in that the only one is the screen at the bottom of the pump.

A little history - She bought the car used (obviously) about four months ago. She was running into similar problems about a month ago and thought that switching to high octane gas (91) pretty much resolved it. Just after a recent fill-up of 87 octane from a remotely located gas station she found the problem act up again. Certainly, contaminated gas is a possibility.

She described the symptoms as:
• The engine seems to momentarily stall or hiccup while driving
• Any time the RPMs got to "2.5" - i presume 2500 - it would start coughing
• To shut down the engine while running errands was asking for a prolonged no-start situation.
• Has to slowly accelerate, even causing her to block cars when lights turn green
• Takes a long time to try to get up to speed on the highway, and even then there were times when she couldn't get up to 60mph.
Though the new MAF has fixed many of these, she reports that she still has a great deal of trouble accelerating. She can bring it up to even highway speeds now, but she must accelerate rather slow. If she tries to accelerate quickly it will not accelerate for a few seconds or longer, then it kicks up and does so.

Last night again the MIL came on and a read of it now shows an O2 sensor bad. Strange, one thing after another. I have seen this before in another vehicle where the actual fault was something entirely different that caused a number of other codes to be thrown. If this makes sense, then we replace the O2 sensor, but i don’t want to just keep throwing money at one thing and then another.

Sure would appreciate the help of you folks that know the car. Drives me crazy to have my girl in trouble and be so far away. If i had $ to throw at the problem, it would be a bit easier, but i really don't...