nissan forums   nissan forums

Go Back   Nissan Forum > Nissan Forums (Nissan Cars) > Nissan Maxima Forum

Nissan Forum: Power Steering fluid leak

Old 05-27-2013, 11:31 AM

Default Power Steering fluid leak

I have a 2002 Maxima w/110K miles. The PS fluid is leaking, which causes the steering to become very difficult.
I simply do not have the money to pay for any repairs right now.
2 questions...does anyone have an idea of some common causes for the leak?
And...is it dangerous or can it cause further damage to my car to drive it (less than 10 miles/day & some days not driving at all) if I just continue to top off the PS fluid in the resivoir?
Any advice is helpful, I'm newly divorced & have never had to deal w/things like this myself...I feel so clueless!
Thanks in advance!

Old 05-28-2013, 12:58 AM

see where the leak is coming from first. check the pump, if its wet the pumps probably leaking. otherwise, check the power steering lines. my bet is its one of the lines. otherwise the rack and pinion could be leaking

how bad is it leaking? if its not too bad, you can continue temporarily topping off the fluid. the only thing is dont let the reservoir run low because you can wear out the power steering pump and create more problems

if its a line, you have to unbolt the line and replace it. places like Napa sell direct replacement lines. if for some reason the line is not available, hose fitting places can replace the rubber section. if its the pump, you just remove the drive belt, unbolt the lines going to the pump, and unbolt the pump.

if you need a cheap option, you can go to a junkyard and rip a line or pump out of a junkyard car for cheap. another option is call colleges and see if any have automotive programs, when i went there towards the end of school people brought their vehicles in and we repaired them, and they just paid for parts and not our labour (benefit being our learning). just throwing it out there

1979 Supra 4ME 5spd- weekend daily
1991 Toyota Crown Royal Saloon- daily

Tags
2002 nissan maxima, please help!!, power steering leak, power steering problem