nissan forums   nissan forums

Go Back   Nissan Forum > Nissan Forums (Nissan Trucks and SUVs) > Nissan Hardbody Forum

Nissan Forum: New Rocker Arms w Stiff Lifters

Old 08-16-2018, 10:06 PM

Default New Rocker Arms w Stiff Lifters

I have a 1993 D21with KA24e engine. I am in the middle of replacing the timing chain, tensioner, broken guide rail, etc.
Before I started I had lifter noise once in a while, usually after an extended run on the interstate at 75 but also sometimes in town.... seems like a good time to fix it. I've read about how to soak the rocker arm / lifters in ATF and so forth, but I only want to do this job once so I have a new complete set of rocker arms in OEM Nissan packaging that I got on ebay. They are in sealed bags and boxes and look perfect, but I can't squeeze them and move the little piston back and forth like on the old ones. It won't move with finger pressure.
Perhaps the oil gummed up after a long time on a shelf somewhere.
Is it OK to put them in a vice to loosen them up?
Is it OK to install the new rocker arms on the old rocker arm shafts?
The truck has about 180,000 miles on it and there is no sideways play in the old rocker arms.
Also DO you have an opinion about the new lifter surface wearing on the old valves?
Am I better off trying to soak the sludge out of the old lifters?
Cam lobes and old rocker surfaces look fine, but round lifter surfaces definitely have shiny wear pattern sideways from following and moving.
Any other suggestions or ideas are more than welcome.
Thanks,
Richard in SC