nissan forums   nissan forums

Go Back   Nissan Forum > Nissan Forums (Nissan Trucks and SUVs) > Nissan Frontier Forum

Nissan Forum: Ok, heres some more (electrical)wierdness...

Old 05-26-2013, 07:28 PM

Default Ok, heres some more (electrical)wierdness...

Ive got a '99 Frontier, Std shift, 4x4 6cy. Its a rust-box, so electrical probs are rampant as expected. Like, its always had a problem with ignition in the rain, hit a moderate puddle, and it coughs, like I sprayed the HV wiring, new cap, rotor and wires did not help. (prob 1)

(Prob 2) Lately its been doing this weird thing, more often when its cold, I fire up the truck, and the gauges are screwed. Temp says its overheating, Tach sits bouncing at about 200 rpm and does not increase with revs. If I shut the truck off and restart it, (even in motion), (or pop the clutch when in motion, the problem goes away, and normal instrument reading returns, (except for the gas gauge which works one day a year at best). Now yesterday new wierdness sets in. The speedo works fine, the trip odos work fine, the main Odo is now reading 99999999. Restarts don't help, setting overnight doesn't either, but the temp gauge is showing just a tiny bit warm, like a 1/4" off the bottom.

Seeing this truck is a rusty relic, I need two things here, As I expect its grounding related, where is the instrument computer and any other ones if there are any. Any known ground probs in the instrumentation area I should check?. Is it (the main computer) in the dash or elsewhere, and second has anyone experienced this type of weirdness, and did you cure it, and if so how? I'm an electrical tech, so I'm not afraid to explore and repair.
I'd just prefer a little guidance if anyone's been there before me and not have to re-invent the wheel here, (round seems to work well

I thank you in advance for any replies...

Marc

Old 10-24-2013, 11:34 AM

Very common problem with the clusters. They can be repaired here: http://www.mrwhizard.com

Tags
computer, dash, electrical problems, gauges, grounds