nissan forums   nissan forums

Go Back   Nissan Forum > Nissan Forums (Nissan Trucks and SUVs) > Nissan Hardbody Forum

Nissan Forum: 1986.5 D21 carb or fuel injected, what is it?

Old 02-18-2019, 11:05 AM

Default 1986.5 D21 carb or fuel injected, what is it?

Hello, this is my first post, here we go. My old man has a 1986.5 pickup, he bought it brand new back then, that pickup came with a z24 engine. Those pickups refuse to die . Iím doing some restoration on it and Iíve been having a lot of problems with the carburetor. I decide to stop wasting time with it and get a new one; but, Iím having a hard time trying to find one. All I can find is for 1983 Ė 1986 720 pickup, mine is a D21. Then I read somewhere, and I notice that, that the D21 is like a mix between carb and fuel injection, something like that, and, forgive my ignorance about this , but, when I look on the engine I see a carb, so, Iím confused. The question is, if I want to buy a new carb or fuel injected, or whatever, what should I need to look for? Any part(s) number(s) that you can give me? Any place in particular where I can get it? I try looking in several places, but,since Iím using carb I donít get any results, maybe because is not a carb or I need to refine my search with any other keywords. Maybe the factory carb has a number or something (it must), but, I donít want to take it out, because if I do that, probably it will not be back on the engine, so if I take it out, itís going to be replaced by a new one. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 02-19-2019, 12:44 PM

Actually, you have the Z24i, where the "i" indicates "injected". It is a fuel-injected throttle body, not a carb. Here's a pic in the 1986.5 Factory Service Manual

If you don't have that, I'd highly recommend it. Here's a used one you can pick up for under $30:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/312194656833

This is posted for everyone to see, so someone might snag it before you do.

As for the part number, I don't keep a list of that stuff, but I went on eBay and looked up "1986 nissan truck throttle body" and looked at a few of the listings. From those, I was able to locate the part number as AFH45M-14. I believe it was made by Hitachi. There are several of those listed on eBay, but all are used and some have been sitting for over a year. That can cause dry-rot in the gaskets, so beware.

Here's a good one with a 30-day return policy:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/173794421090

Parts are no longer available for these through Nissan, so people often switch to a Weber carb whenever the throttle body goes out.
Trouble Codes for Nissan 1988-1995: http://nissanforum.org/nissan-forum/showthread.php?t=23202