nissan forums   nissan forums

Go Back   Nissan Forum > Nissan Forums (Nissan Trucks and SUVs) > Nissan Hardbody Forum

Nissan Forum: Yes it can be done

Old 02-08-2012, 01:46 AM

Default Yes it can be done

Ok folks... Get this.
After days and days of electronic problems, with noone really knowing
the answers to " my truck wont get over 2700-2900 rpms. Here is what I finally did. I have a 1986 v6 throttle body injection system. I replaced everything on this truck and still no luck. I almost junked it. So I decided to do the impossible. I jerked all the fuel injection system off the truck,(except the fuel pump in the tank) I made an adapter plate, and then took a two to four barrel adaptor and mounted it all together. This was a time consuming project. It took me one day. I mounted a 750 holley on it, jetted with #56 jets.I then put a by pass line along with a regulator on it. It fired right up! I done some tuning on the engine, tweeked the timing, and this thing will burn the tires off it.
Yeah I know the question, does that thing get any kinda gas miliage? Well...
I am getting about 28 to 30 miles per gallon out of an engine that has 140,000 miles on it. Don't ask me how it all works together with the ECM, crank angle sensor, and all the rest of the crap on one of these things, but it does. All I know is I did it and it works! Nothing is impossible I suppose.
I will run it till it blows up or quites. I will Write back on this thread weekly to let everyone know how it is going. If this keeps working well I may have to write a book! lol..

J Kesler

Old 02-08-2012, 02:47 PM

Damn! I'd like to have a 4 barrel sitting up top of my V6 where all that aluminum is.

If you made an adapter plate, why would you also need a 2 to 4 barrel adapter for the Holley?

You should take pictures!

What lines & sensors did you remove?
Trouble Codes for Nissan 1988-1995: http://nissanforum.org/nissan-forum/showthread.php?t=23202
Old 02-11-2012, 12:10 AM

There is no way to bolt a two to four barrel adaptor to the nissian intake.
It has a single 2.5 inch round hole with offset bolts. So what you have to do is make a plate to bolt to the intake, with a bolt pattern centered to fit the adaptor. you could pretty much create any pattern to bolt on anything you would like. I used a 4 barrel holley because that is what I had. I will take some pictures this weekend and post them for all to see. I am also going to post a link to you tube so you can see and hear it run.
Thanks for the interest in this project, I guess doing things like this is what makes being creative so much fun!

John K.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:14 AM

Also,
I removed the throttle body,
Which elimated the MAF, Throttle position sensor, fuel regulator for TBI,
Injectors, Fuel heater. Everything else connected to the ignition system is in tacked.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:42 PM

And everything just worked when you took the MAF, TPS, and other emissions stuff off?

Is your ECM plugged in or did you toss that, too?
Trouble Codes for Nissan 1988-1995: http://nissanforum.org/nissan-forum/showthread.php?t=23202
Old 02-12-2012, 08:42 PM

I have added pictures to my profile album of this conversion. Go check em out!! Also see my video on this project on youtube @ http://youtu.be/wBlg1XHdZ0M

John K.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:20 PM

Holy cow! You mounted the carb sideways, too!

Old 02-13-2012, 12:40 AM

Not to be a smartass or anything but isn't a vg a tuned port injection system not a throttle body injection system? A tbi to carb swap is cake bc I've done a few tbi 4.3's like that now tpi is a whole nother beast. Because you have fuel rails under the intake with 3 injectors on each side regulated by the computer and that spray directly into the plenum just above the cylinder. You may not be givin yourself credit where its due.

Edit: also the way you did this you could probably do a tpi to tbi swap on there no problem.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:31 AM

isn't a vg a tuned port injection system not a throttle body injection system?
Nope, Im pretty sure the 1986 3.0 is a TBI, 2 injectors right on the top of it. So nope...
I only deserve credit for what I did. I am sure lots of folks have done simular swaps.
thanks
Old 02-13-2012, 05:33 AM

ok so you have the earlier vg30I not e. I was thinking you have the vg30e which is tpi and would be nearly impossible to convert to carb without fabing a whole new intake.